[EM] Problems of PR-squared/ cubed/ etc systems

Tom Round T.Round at mailbox.gu.edu.au
Tue Jul 13 22:27:48 PDT 1999

The "third way" (excuse pun) option of combining a party-list system of
voting with -

[a]	a distribution of seats that's proportional to the cube (or square, or
some other specified power) of each party's vote tally, and/or

[b]	candidates voted for, and elected, one per party list in each district,

- has been proposed before. I think it was Arend Lijphart in the early
1980s who quoted Dutch proposals to cube each party list's vote tally
before allocating seats. And the method used for the Danish Folketing seeks
to ensure as far as possible that each candidate elected from a party list
has his/her "own" local constituency.

Political scientists from David Butler onwards have noted the "cube rule"
effect of simple plurality voting, which explains why normally the party
with most votes, if facing a divided opposition, will win an absolute
majority of seats unless its vote is very low and the second and
third-placed parties are both fairly close to it (eg, UK 1974). Thus the
attraction of schemes that will institutionalise this result consistently,
without the risk that the plurality party will win fewer seats than the
runner up (as also occurred in 1974).

My main objection to PR-cubed is that the result would depend so very
heavily on coalition deals (formal or informal) negotiated by the party
leadership long before election day. Thus, if the votes go Red 45%, Blue
35%, Green 20%, and these parties run separate lists, the seats will be
divided in the proportions 91,125 to 42,875 to 8,000, ie Red 64.17%, Blue
30.19%, Green 5.6%.

But if before the election Blue and Green agree to run a joint list, they
will have a combined 55% of the vote and this will mean the seats are now
divided in the proportion 91,125 to 166,375, so the seats will now go
35.38% to Red, 64.61% to the Blue/ Green alliance. Thus, without a single
voter changing his/her voting preference, Red has been reduced from 2/3 to
1/3 of the seats (given voting patterns not all that different from, say,
the 1983, 1987 and 1992 UK House of Commons elections). The result would be
similar, although more moderate, if the vote totals were squared instead of
cubed.

It matters not that the electoral rules might _say_, on paper, that
explicit "joinder" or apparentement of lists, European-style, is not
allowed. So great are the incentives for Blue and Green to unite and turn
electoral annihilation into a landslide for them that they could still no
doubt easily agree on a single joint list (doing so would yield them so
many extra seats that they could easily afford to be magnanimous to each
other). Unlike simple plurality, PR-cubed would not even require the party
leaders to persuade their local party branches, activists and candidates to
agree to stand down before they could make an electoral pact stick.

Both plurality and PR-cubed, however, share the defect that the voters have
no control over these coalitions or pacts -- ironically, exactly the same
accusation that plurality's defenders throw at PR systems. Mirroring the
anti-PR charge that PR encourages coalitions negotiated in smoke-filled
rooms after the votes are cast (which means voters can't cast a free and
informed vote to ratify them) is the brute fact that any system which
swings seats so violently back and forth (depending on whether 55% of votes
go to one party or two) will conversely encourage coalitions negotiated in
smoke-filled rooms before the votes are cast, which means voters can't cast
a free and informed vote to ratify them either. It is a fallacy to boast,
as many do, that plurality systems discourage coalitions. All they do is
discourage coalitions which offer voters a choice of candidates or parties.
All PR systems at least do the latter. [I expound on this in more length in
"A Matter of Preference?", available at
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~lee/prsa/tround/ -- my opinion on this matter has
not changed since 1992.]

Single Transferable Vote PR systems, which I support, have the further
advantage that they mean the final, "marginal" seat in each electorate is
almost always decided by inter-party preference flows while the earlier
seats are almost all won by parties on their own votes. Thus, STV-PR both
(a) encourages party leaders to negotiate their coalition deal before
election day -- otherwise their supporters' preferences will "leak" and
they may lose crucial seats they could otherwise have won. But it also (b)
allows voters to decide whether or not to reject that advice.

I would also respectfully query whether, as Julian says, single-member
plurality "has served two countries well for centuries". Firstly, if the
second country is the USA, I would suggest that the plurality system works
in the USA almost the opposite to the UK -- primary elections, fixed terms,
a separate presidential executive, and party-block ballots for multiple
offices have produced a very loose, undisciplined US party system behind
the nominal Republican/ Democrat divide. Secondly, plurality was used in
multi-seat electorates -- even for national elections -- in both USA and UK
until only about a century ago.

Deliberate gerrymandering by politicians can be avoided if you use a
boundary commission, but even with impartial drawing single-member
boundaries can still produce weird results (eg, giving victory to the
runner-up party in two of the last four Australian House of Reps elections).

I cannot comment on Julian's assessment of PM Blair's motivations for
supporting the change, except to note that almost all politicians support
particular systems for reasons of party advantage, so the motivation game
is little help in deciding which system gives voters the best deal.

Round's law for predicting a party's choice of preferred electoral system:
"1. Every party will advocate whichever electoral system will give it the
most seats for its expected number of votes in the foreseeable future. 2.
Corollary: It will therefore advocate the system that gives it the most
seats for its expected share of votes, excluding any system that has a bias
so blatant and hard to justify that ordinary voters will lose faith in that
party and thus give it fewer seats -- due to loss of votes -- than it gains
due to the workings of a favourable electoral method." Works every time!

At 10:14 AM 7/5/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Just for the record, many people (myself included) do not believe that
>single-member plurality is "ANTI-DEMOCRATIC", whether whispered or shouted.
>Majoritarian systems prevent power being passed from the ballot box to the
>negotiating table; and simple systems are widely understood and provide a
>clear link from constituent to representative. Whilst I don't believe SMP is
>optimal (my preference can be found via
>http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/electsys.html), SMP is far from pessimal,
>and has served two countries well for centuries. Gerrymandering can be
>avoided by depoliticising boundary commissions (as in the UK); and elections
>can be made fairer by capping campaign spending (perhaps a more complicated
>constitutional change).

>If the UK switches, it is for domestic political reasons entailing a split
>in the Labour Party and an alliance of the right of that with the Liberal
>Democrats. Any Prime Minister who spends the taxpayers' cash on supporting
>his side of a referendum campaign (in a word, cheating) has motivations
>other than democracy itself. (And as for his attempt to impose a Hindenburg
>solution on Northern Ireland by allowing a private army to take power,
>please don't ask how that is pro-democratic.)

Tom Round
BA (Hons), LL.B (Qld)
[1] Research Officer, Key Centre for Law, Ethics, Justice and Governance
(incorporating the National Institute for Law, Ethics and Public Affairs), and
[2] Associate Lecturer, School of Criminology and Criminal Justice,
Griffith University, Queensland [Australia] 4111
Ph:	[1] 07 3875 3817 or [2]  07 3875 6671 or [3] 07 3875 5957
Fax:	[1] 07 3875 6634 or [2] 07 3875 5608
E-mail: 	T.Round at mailbox.gu.edu.au
Web:	http://www.gu.edu.au/school/ccj/