[EM] Salva Voting - a single winner method

Donald E Davison donald at mich.com
Wed Apr 14 11:18:31 PDT 1999

Greetings list,

    Salva has sent more information.

Donald
  ------------- Forwarded Letter --------------
From:  Salva
To: "Donald E Davison" <donald at mich.com>
Subject: Re: What do you call it?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:23:02 +0200

In the method I intended to describe there was no remaining seats. Let's
suppose a 100 seat parliament. After the first count on the first choice of
every ballot ALL 100 seats have been allocated. The ballots that have not
obtained representation are re-counted on their second choice and
transfered. Now the allocation in done again in all 100 seats, giving
(though not necessarily) a new picture to these 100 seats. The proces goes
on giving every time (not necessarily) a new picture of the parliament,
until the end of the process. The last picture of the parliament is the
definitive outcome of the election. (in practice the last and definitive one
differs little from the first and provisional one).

- - - - - - - - - - - comments by Donald - - - - - - - - - -
Dear list,

     Salva's method seems to be a form of Approval Voting. A form that uses
the lower choices of only the ballots that are not in the tally of the
first 100 candidates.

     I feel that Salva is on to something with this method. Therefore I am
going to call it Salva Voting - being as no one has claimed another name
for the method.

     Salva did not state if the 100 member parliament were elected via
single seat districts or in an One Area Election, but it appears the math
would work in either. And because the method will function in a single seat
district, this also makes Salva Voting a single winner method.

     Salva Voting has a number of good points:

     1) Salva Voting will always confirm the majority winner if we have one
on the first count of the ballots. Approval Voting will not always confirm
the majority winner.
     2) The lower choices do not help defeat the first choice.
     3) Salva Voting does not eliminate candidates.
     4) Salva Voting will never end up in a circular tie.

     Those of you that are more interested in single winner methods should
examine Salva Voting. It may be the best single winner method.

Regards,
Donald