What Use?

David Marsay djmarsay at dera.gov.uk
Fri Oct 23 02:55:52 PDT 1998

As a Briton, Mike O's notion of partition sounds dangerous, but it
would depend on the local circumstances. I think the Phillipines
should consider some form of federal government with power devolved
as low as possible. There should be structures that allow regions to
co-operate on common interests, e.g. foreign policy. You might
partition into nations but have an equivalent to the EU for the
Phillipines within a broader economic area. Look around!

 I do not know
how you prevent large regions from bullying small ones or the nation
from accumulating powers. In essence, majority rule gives the rule
to the majority (even PR), so you may prefer something different.
Systems that work seem to work because none of the population is
desperate enough to risk upsetting the system. My hope for Northern
Ireland has been that as both Britain and Ireland became part of 'an
ever closer union' the dispute would seem pointless. Could something
similar work for you?  Good luck.