Shouldn't Talk To Santa Clara?

Fillard Rhyne fillard at hevanet.com
Sun Oct 18 22:42:05 PDT 1998

>So, I want to get your opinion, because the election is drawing
>near. Is there a reason why I shouldn't talk to Santa Clara
>County about IRO?

First, thank you for asking.

I'm going to make a lot of big assumptions in this message,
because if I don't, it will be impossible to write.  Please
excuse me if my assumptions are in fact wrong.

---You prefer PR to winner-take-all representation.
---You would like Santa Clara to implement PR.
---The Santa Clara activists also support PR.
---The Santa Clara activists have chosen to pursue IRO in part
   for its own sake, and in part as a stepping-stone to PR.
---The Santa Clara activists made this choice because, as
   supporters of both IRO and PR, they can envision a path
   through IRO to PR, and a victory with IRO would give them
   momentum and credibility that they could use in promoting PR.
---The Santa Clara activists are most likely to get to PR if they
   can get IRO implemented first.

---In your own jurisdiction, you might choose to pursue Condorcet
   in part for its own sake, and in part as a stepping-stone to
   PR.
---You might make this choice because, as a supporter of both
   Condorcet and PR, you can envision a path through Condorcet to
   PR, and a victory with Condorcet would give you momentum and
   credibility that you could use in promoting PR.
---You are most likely to get your jurisdiction to PR if you can
   get Condorcet implemented first.

---If you were in Santa Clara, and prepared to do extensive work
   there in support of PR at the local level, it would probably
   make sense for you and the rest of the Santa Clara activists
   to come to an agreement on what path to pursue to get to PR.
---Since you are not in Santa Clara, you are not prepared to do
   extensive work their in support of PR at the local level.
---The best thing might be to grit your teeth and hope the Santa
   Clara activists can make it to PR sooner rather than later -
   that they don't get stalled on IRO.

Put another way:
When two people are trying to get approximately the same thing
accomplished, it makes sense for them to work together as much as they can.

Biases/disclaimers:
---I am an IRO activist.
---I do not live in Santa Clara, or anywhere in California for
   that matter.

Fillard Rhyne
fillard at hevanet.com