Simple circular tie

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Mon Oct 5 23:14:27 PDT 1998

Since there are a number of new folks on the EM list, I repeat a simple 3
choice version of the *circular tie* using number votes (1, 2, 3, etc.) ---
      1   2    3   Place

35 A > B  > C
34 B > C > A
33 C > A > B

102 total

68 A > B
34 B > A  or a net 34 A > B

35 A > C
67 C > A  or a net 32 C > A

69 B > C
33 C > B  or a net 36 B > C

or a combined  A > B > C > A.

A considerable part of the EM postings have been about the *best* method to
resolve such circular ties (noting that there might be 4 or more choices in a
circular tie and that there might be more vote combinations in a real election
such as 7 A > C > B, 5 C > B > A, etc.).  Number votes by themselves ONLY show
*relative* support and NOT *absolute* positive or negative support.

Note to EM FAQ author folks- I suggest that something like the above be put in
the EM FAQ.