MMP defector MP - info

Bjørn Erik Rasch b.e.rasch at stv.uio.no
Wed Jul 30 13:37:42 PDT 1997

Below the following is said: "The issue also applies to the Closed Party
List form of PR, and to any system where the voters vote for parties
instead of
people." The last part of the sentence is a misunderstanding. Voters vote
for persons also in closed list PR-systems (but if you want to vote for
party A, this party make up the list of persons to vote entirely on its
own; the voters cannot interfere at election day). Furthermore,
representatives are never constitutionally tied to their party; they are --
formally -- free to follow their "consciusness" or even to change party
during the election term.

b.e.rasch at stv.uio.no