MMP defector MP - info

Steve Eppley SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Jul 30 12:43:41 PDT 1997

Tom R wrote:
>>Hi Marcus. I've got a request for information for you ... I
>>recently read in the newspaper here that there's some
>>controversy in NZ because an MP elected for one party has
>>defected to another. It's apparently particularly controversial
>>because she was elected for a list seat,
[snip]

Donald D replied:
>      If there has been any exchange of views by anyone I
> would like to be privy to them. I am interested in that aspect
> of MMP.

The issue also applies to the Closed Party List form of PR, and
to any system where the voters vote for parties instead of
people.

One might also raise the issue even in systems where voters
vote for people, since the candidates' party affiliations are
signals used by many voters in deciding how to vote.  In a
sense, the legislator has committed something akin to electoral
fraud.

Solutions are straightforward, if they're embedded in the
constitution.  For example, a majority or supermajority of a
party's legislators could be given power to expel a legislator
who quits that party if s/he was a member of it when elected.
For another example, the expulsion could be automatic.

The only problem with these "solutions" is that if they were
part of the system, the legislator would simply avoid officially
changing his/her party, and would merely informally make it
clear to his/her new party that s/he is going to vote with them
most of the time.

The only real solution, I think, is to allow the voters to vote
frequently.  Then if they no longer prefer to be represented by
the turncoat they can change their votes. This solution would
hopefully be part of an electoral system with low campaign
costs, such as giving free t.v. and radio time to qualified
candidates; otherwise the candidates' need for campaign money
would corrupt policies even more than now, and rich parties
would have an even larger advantage than now.