CV&D on C-SPAN

New Democracy donald at mich.com
Sun Jul 27 09:03:43 PDT 1997

Dear members of the Election Methods list

Here is the latest report from the Center for Voting and Democracy.

Don
7/25/97

From: Rob Richie, Center for Voting and Democracy (http://www.igc.org/cvd/)

I wanted to let you know that that the Center held a news conference this
week to release a new report called "Monopoly Politics." The news
conference has
been shown twice on CSPAN1 -- once at 9 pm on Wednesday -- and should air
again this weekend. One time that is expected is about 4:20 am on Sunday.

Somehow I think a few of you out there might miss that airing, so below is
a news release that you gives you a sense of the new report. I think the
report breaks new ground in tracing just what we need to do to give most
voters two viable options in congressional elections, let alone three.
Surprise -- the key is going to a proportional representation voting system
(or "full representation," as we sometimes say).

The "mother of winner-taker-all" systems may just show us the way.
Proportional representation (PR) is breaking out all over the United
Kingdom it will be used to elect the country's representatives to the
European Parliament in 1999, while both Scotland and Wales will use forms
of "PR" for their regional parliaments if voters approve creation of these
parliaments in referendums next  month. And Tony Blair and Labour Party are
committed to holding a national referendum on adopting a PR system for the
House of Commons.

I also had commentaries in the Christian Sciene Monitor and Roll Call
(Capitol Hill paper) on Monday

Here is our news release. More next week.

Best,
Rob
* * * *
For Immediate Release July 23, 1997

                       "Monopoly Politics"

NEW REPORT DEMONSTRATES THAT CAMPAIGN SPENDING IS A MINOR FACTOR IN DECIDING
GENERAL EELCTIONS

REPOR PREDICTS LOPSIDED "LANDLIDES" IN 238 RACES AND WINS IN 360

      The Center for Voting and Democracy today released its new report on
elections to the U.S. House of Representatives. Monopoly Politics predicts
winners in 360 House races well over a year before the November 1998
elections. The comprehensive report explains how -- and exactly why -- the
great majority of U.S. House elections will be non-competitive in 1998.
      "To echo an old refrain," said the Center's executive director Rob
Richie, "'It's the voters, stupid!' American voters -- and, unfortunately,
non-voters -- are much more rational than we often give them credit."
      Monopoly Politics lists near-certain winners in the 1998 U.S. House
elections simply based on the presidential performance in the district and
results in the past three House elections. The report includes a series of
factsheets that demonstrate the consistency of voters in federal elections
-- a
consistency that is unshaken by vast disparities in campaign spending.
      "All the talk of how campaign finance reform can provide a level
playing fieldþ overlooks one glaring fact," said Richie. "The voters are
not equally balanced in most districts. Either because of redistricting --
and let's remember that in our country the legislators get to choose their
constituents before the constituents choose them -- or because of other
factors, demography is destiny. Your neighbors -- all 500,000 of them -
determine your representation."
      Richie added, "Our findings suggest that campaign reform is all the
more important. Which is worse? Asking for money to help win a competitive
election or asking for money for an election you have no chance to lose?
But if we want
competitive elections and if we want to give citizens a reason to get
involved in politics, we simply have to reform our methods for structuring
voters' choices -- first through better forms of redistricting, but as soon
as possible through forms of proportional representation as used in most of
the world's
democracies."
      Monopoly Politics contains an analysis of innovative redistricting
methods used in Iowa and New Jersey. The report also provides information
on proportional representation voting systems. Proportional representation
-- or "full representation," as the Center likes to call it -- describes
systems of voting in which voters are very likely to directly elect a
representative of
their choice. The term "proportional" comes from the principle that any
group of voters -- as defined by their cohesive voting behavior -- should
be able to elect representatives in proportion to their support in the
electorate.
      Britain's Tony Blair last week became the latest to support "PR",
asking his Labor Party to adopt a proportional system for 1999 elections to
the European parliament. Of the world's 37 major, full-fledged democracies
-- democracies with at least three million people and a high human rights
rating
from Freedom House -- 31 use a form of proportional representation to elect
their main legislature. Counting the United Kingdom, another three use "PR"
for at least one nationally-elected legislative body. Only Canada, Jamaica
and
the United States exclusively use winner-take-all elections in
single-member districts. Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney soon will introduce
her Voters' Choice Act to restore states' opportunities to use proportional
systems to elect the House of Representatives.
      Monopoly Politics lists the 75 seats that are truly up for grabs,
with well over half of total seats predicted to be won by "untouchable"
incumbents -- incumbents who repeat their 1996 landslide victories in 1998.
Using the same method, the Center last October listed 219 "untouchable"
incumbents: all were re-elected, 209 won landslides and only three won by
less than 10%. This year's more exhaustive report likely will be even more
accurate.
      The report's factsheets also include analyses of: the entrenched
nature of incumbents first elected before 1990; open seat races in 1996;
U.S. Senate elections; and how representatives' voting behavior is impacted
by the partisan
nature of the district they represent. Monopoly Politics is available to
the general public by sending $10 to the Center at:  PO Box 60037,
Washington, DC 20039
      The Center for Voting and Democracy is a non-partisan, non-profit
organization that focuses on voter participation and fair representation.
It has received funding this year from George Soros' Open Society
Institute. For information on Monopoly Politics, please contact the Center
at (301) 270-4616.

Donald Eric Davison of New Democracy at http://www.mich.com/~donald