MMP defector MP - info

Tom Round TomR at ORGO.cad.gu.edu.au
Mon Jul 21 21:07:44 PDT 1997

Hi Marcus. I've got a request for information for you ... I recently read in the newspaper here that there's some controversy in NZ because an MP elected for one party has defected to another. It's apparently particularly controversial because she was elected for a list seat, not for a local electorate. Thus there have been calls for her to resign as a matter of conscience, or for the law to be changed so that in such cases MPs have to vacate automatically.

Unfortunately I forgot to bring the relevant clipping to Brisbane with me, but I'm assuming that you'll know the case I'm talking about. I'm thinking of writing a piece (either academic, or maybe just journalistic) likening this case with the situation of Senator Colston in Australia, and with provisions in a number of "Third World"/ developing nation Consitutions (India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and now South Africa) which provide for automatic unseatment of MPs who defect from their party or are expelled.

Any ifnormation - news reports, even just discussions you've heard yourself  - that you could, at your convenience, forward to me, would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Tom

-------------------
Overflow-Cc: 100245.2440 at compuserve.com ('Geoff Powell'),