Condorcet Language for Municipal Charter

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Feb 8 18:27:11 PST 1997

Hugh T wrote:
>I have received a notice from the King County, Washington Charter
>Review Commission soliciting public input into a charter reform
>process.
-snip-

One thing to watch out for in charter reform processes is how the
proposed reforms will be voted on.  Expect them to put several
proposals on the ballot and use Yes/No Approval voting to decide
which, if any, wins.  Hugh is undoubtedly aware that Condorcet or
Smith//Condorcet would be a better way to vote on the proposals
(making sure that "Keep the Status Quo" is also a choice which
can be ranked).

So I recommend that Hugh also raise the issue of reforming the
reform process.  He can use this opportunity to explain why
Smith//Condorcet is such a good method, too.

Hugh asked for a short explanation of why Smith//Condorcet is the
best choice.  But how short is short?