Individual Reporting of Vote Result

Marcus Ganley m.ganley at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Sep 15 11:22:22 PDT 1996

Steve wrote (Thu, 12 Sep 1996 11:50:51 -800):
>Maybe we could have a vote (in the ER list?) about which is the better usage.

The point of my comments was that as what I call OPV, some call MPV,
others Instant Runoff, others Preferential Voting, others the
Alternative vote.  All these names can be justified.  The only reason
I use OPV is because this name distinguishes one form of preferential
voting from another (CPV).  Outside Australia this distinction is not
particularly important.  I am not advocating the use of this name, or
calling for a vote on which is the "best".  All  I really want to
ensure is that we use enough tags when posting to ER that everyone
knows what we are talking about.  This will avoid others having to go
through the confusion I did.