Posting Report

Mike Ossipoff dfb at bbs.cruzio.com
Thu Sep 12 13:08:08 PDT 1996

Not irrelevant at all--2 seconds give a decision more
democratic legitimacy than 1, especially important because
we don't take a subsequent y/n vote, but just carry out a
proposal that has been seconded & not opposed.

"Instant Runoff" sounds like a product-name,and in a sense that's
what it is--it's a name chosen by a U.S. electoral reform organization,
Center for Voting & Democracy, for its promotional advantage of
relating OPV (the verssion they propose) to the familiar Runoff
method. But since many electoral reformers don't especially like
Runoff, I don't know how much of an advantage that is. The public
doesn't know there's anything wrong with Runoff, but then few of
them know that there's anything wrong with Plurality.

True, since OPV is known by so many different names, even in this
one country, it's best to include those names when mentioning
it in the report. No harm in including a definition too, of course;
I only argued that a definition wasn't essential in case the
choice of a definition wording could become a delaying issue.
Now I realize that Steve intends to write one into his report.

thanks,
Mike