Individual Reporting of Vote Result

Marcus Ganley m.ganley at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Sep 12 20:08:09 PDT 1996

Subject:       Individual Reporting of Vote Result
To:            election-methods-list at eskimo.com
Date:          Wed, 11 Sep 96 9:18:24 PDT
From:          Mike Ossipoff <dfb at bbs.cruzio.com>

>...or can we get a second for the motion to post Steve's draft?

If my seconding is acceptable, I am happy to do so.

>It really isn't necessary to add a definition of Instant-Runoff
>(also knoown as "Preferential Voting", MPV, the Alternative Vote),
>because that method is already known to many electoral reformers,
>especially those favoring it, and because it lost the election.

So long as you use all the tags above, I agree with this.  Despite using
compulsory Preferential Voting all my life I had never heard is described as
Instant-Runoff and the abbreviation MPV meant nothing to me (in Aust
we usually abbreviate as CPV or OPV depending on whether distribution
of preferences is compulsory or optional)..

I hope this is acceptable. Sorry if it is not.