Tie breakers

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu May 16 01:40:14 PDT 1996

DEMOREP1 at aol.com wrote:
[snip]
>The single winner case is the downward limit of the multi-winner
>case for executive and judicial elections. Which candidate to
>eliminate in a tie situation should be the same in both the single
>and multi cases.

I still don't see what I'd call an explanation of your assertion.
If this intended to be a proof by induction, I'd like to see the
steps in the proof.

An induction proof would probably look something like this:

Postulate:  Method X is excellent in single-winner elections.

(To be proven)  If method X is excellent in N-winner elections,
where N may be 1 or more, then it's also excellent in (N+1)-winner
elections.

--Steve