[EM] (Fwd) Problem with Condorcet?

Rob Lanphier robla at eskimo.com
Sun Mar 31 22:05:57 PST 1996

If I understand this correctly, the problem outlined below is a problem
with not picking a candidate from the Smith set, which plain Condorcet
indeed may fail at.  The proposal Mike has made for those concerned with
this is to add a clause to Condorcet's which states that the winner must
be picked out of the Smith set, i.e. the smallest set of candidates who
beat all candidates outside the set in pairwise elections.

After seeing Bruce's example and this example cropping up, I think the
best preemptive strategy might be to go with Mike's old proposal and add
the Smith set clause on.  At this point, it might not be fair to call it
Condorcet's method anymore, but certainly, Condorcet-Smith would be fair.

Rob Lanphier
robla at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~robla