[EM] Condorcet tie-breaking (was Re: Multiple Same Choices)

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Mar 2 13:01:49 PST 1996

Mike O. wrote:
>Your suggestion to solve circular ties by a 2nd balloting is ok,
>and I wouldn't object to it. But no one likes a method that requires
>a 2nd balloting.

Here's another proposal for breaking the circular tie:

Calculate which two candidates (A and B) were "least beat".
If A pairwise-beat B then A is the winner;
else hold a runoff between the two.

This way, a runoff wouldn't always be necessary and the electorate
will probably be satisfied with the results.