Subcycles and the Rich Party Problem

Mike Ossipoff dfb at bbs.cruzio.com
Wed Jun 19 01:44:28 PDT 1996

Yes, that statement of the subcycle rule seems to say the same
as mine, except that my latest statement of it said that
the cycles must be solved before determining a winner. That
means that even in plain Condorcet, which otherwise ignores
cycles, including the Smith set, the subcycle rule would still
accomplish its purpose of achieving compliance with LO2E-2.

Even if the subcycle rule could make Copeland or Regular-Champion
comply with ITC, that still wouldn't help its violation of the
other important criteria posted here, so it wouldn't solve
Regular-Champion's or Copeland's problems. I mention that, though
I'm sure that it's already known.

Also, it wouldn't bring it into compliance with some unposted criteria
that are close relatives of ITC. ITC does a good job of separating
methods that have the Rich Parties problem from those that don't.
Adding the subcycle rule to Copeland would be a patch that
would necessitate a generalization of ITC in order to still
be able to demark methods that have the Rich Parties problem
from methods that don't have it. It would be a question of moving
the benchmark, which ok if the new benchmark is reasonable &
important in its own right. And this would be necessary due
to the use of a patch that's used to pass ITC.

Mike