Demorep1: Truncation. Approval.

Tom Round TomR at orgo.cad.gu.edu.au
Mon Dec 9 19:07:10 PST 1996

Greetings all.

(1)  Hugh Tobin wrote, on the topic of a position being left vacant if no
candidate is majority-approved:

>    For judicial races the option of appointment by the governor should
probably be added or substituted, so as to avoid excess caseloads, or
deadlocks due to an even number on a supreme court.

Is this really necessary? My understanding is that, even now, it is quite
possible to have long-running vacant seats on a court in those US
jurisdictions (ie, all federal courts, and a substantial number of States)
where judges are nominated by the Chief Executive and appointed "by and with
the advice and consent of" a legislative house (usually the Senate or upper
house).

Eg, after Lewis Powell vacated his Supreme Court seat, it took many months
and two failed nominations (Bork rejected, D Ginsburg withdrawn) before the
position was finally filled by Kennedy. During that interim the Court had to
function with only 8 of its normal 9 judges. As Bork wrote in "THE TEMPTING
OF AMERICA" (1990), the Court tries to get by as it can by scheduling
earlier hearings for those cases that do not look like dividing the Justices
evenly, but this will not last indefinitely. Of course a sub-panel of three,
five or seven judges could probably handle most civil and commercial cases,
but for important constitutional decisions (which are the bulk of the US
SC's workload, since unlike the High Court of Aust it is not a general court
of appeal on matters of purely State civil and criminal law) this wouldn't
do. A majority of the whole body would be wanted, to give the decision
authority (cf Brown v Board of Ed where considerable diplomacy was exercised
by Earl Warren to make sure the Court's controversial decision was
unanimous). Moreover it seems rather unfair to tell a litigant, even before
her case has been heard, "At least five judges think you're going to lose
already, so we'll go ahead with an eight-judge court" ...

A system where the Executive nominates and the legislature confirms (or
rejects) judges can thus lead to vacancies if the proposing and the
ratifying authorities are deadlocked. This in itself can open the way for
political strategising - eg, you put up one or two obviously unpopular
proposals first, and save your "real" preference for later. That way the
ratifying body, under pressure not to look negative, is more likely to give
in. Many US commentators suggested that, if Reagan had planned for Kennedy
as his first choice and had only wanted to use Bork and Ginsburg as "decoys"
to draw the Senate's fire and leave it "out of ammunition" to use on
Kennedy, he couldn't have done it better than it actually happened!

So perhaps allowing "leave the seat vacant" for elective judicial posts, if
no candidates are majority-approved, would produce results no worse or more
catastrophic than can arise under the "advice and consent" system.

I noticed an article in "THE ECONOMIST" back in 1993 or 1994, commenting
ruefully on the US confirmation system and proposing that the Senate revise
its traditional practice so that the President nominates several names at
once, and Senators then vote among these, presumably to elect either one, or
none, of them - the article didn't specify. Nor did it say which method
should be used. I assume that the Senate would probably use either
low-man-out elimination, or election by resolution with indefinite
re-balloting until one is majority-approved (the second is the method
dictated by "ROBERT'S RULES OF ORDER", I note ...). This, said "THE
ECONOMIST", would avoid the cat-and-mouse strategising alluded to above, and
would still satisfy the Constitutional requirements of Presidential
nomination/ Senate consent.

I think Lani Guinier also proposed Senate scrutiny of multiple nominees at
once, although this was aimed at increasing the number of Black, female and
Hispanic judges by allowing a look at statistical proportionality and
avoiding the "tyranny of small decisions" when only one is chosen at a time.

(2)  Donald wrote:

>    I would ask you to consider having an even number on the Supreme Court
at all times. Any small body should be an even number because it is not
acceptable to have a measure pass by the vote of only one person. If there
is a vacancy on the body the measure must still pass by the same even number
that is the majority of the full body.

I would disagree with Donald here. I think, for decisions (whether all or
only some) on which, it is thought, bare 50% + 1 majority rule is not
sufficient, one should specify a definite percentage required as a
super-majority - say 60%, two-thirds, three-quarters, whatever. Raising the
quota above 50% + 1 indirectly, by having an even number, would allow a
determined majority to circumvent the requirement by increasing the size of
the body. A majority of 8 judges equals 75% of the total. Whereas 51 out of
100 Senators is only 51% of the total, and 219 out of 436 US Reps would be
barely 50.2% of the total.

The question of the optimum size of the body (which should be based on
factors like cost, workload, population and area to represent, etc) would be
distorted by the desire to "get back", as close as possible, to 50% + 1
control. I think one should specify which decisions require a
super-majority, as a fixed percentage, and leave all others to be decided by
a simple majority, with some provision for tie-breaking.

What "a two-thirds majority" requires in practice does vary slightly
according to the exact numbers (eg, 7 out of 10 or 70%, 67 out of 100 or
67%), but it does not produce the same consistent, in-built incentive to
keep adding seats to make the requisite threshold easier for the majority to
attain.

Tom Round (tomr at orgo.cad.gu.edu.au)

-------------------
Overflow-Cc: 100245.2440 at compuserve.com ('Geoff Powell'),
   afreeman at acslink.net.au ('Andrew Freeman'),
   bmusidla at email.dot.gov.au ('Bogey M'),
   c-p-r at netcom.com ('Citizens for Proportional Representation'),
   crabb.deane at pi.sa.gov.au ('Deane Crabb'),
   dunnmj at ozemail.com.au ('Martin Dunn'),
   election-methods-list at eskimo.com ('Election methods'),
   GGoode at VTRLMEL1.TRL.OZ.AU (Goode, Geoff),
   j.pyke at qut.edu.au (John Pyke, QUT Law School),
   jhtaplin at cygnus.uwa.edu.au ('John Taplin'),
   lee at cs.mu.OZ.AU ('Lee Naish'),
   martinw at cse.unsw.edu.au ('Martin Willis'),