[EM] Steph: Extremist shouldn't change outcome?

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 19 18:15:35 PST 2003

Mike --

> [...]
>                 this new possibility. It highers the possibility of the first side finding their
>                 optimal agreement,
>                 so the second side HAS to play it safer and will conceide by accepting a more
>                 "median" or centrist
>                 candidate.Use Alex or Bart strategy with utilities, the maths confirm.
>
>                 > The point that I wanted to make yesterday was this:
>                 >
>                 > Either you justify your criterion in terms of other standards, and
>                 > ultimately in terms of standard that others accept as fundmental,
>                 > or you just hope that people will accept your criterion itself as
>                 > a fundamental standard. The latter isn't at all likely, and so I repeat:
>                 > Can you or can you not justify your criterion in terms of something
>                 > that others accept as fundamental?
>                 >
>                 > By the way: Of course for a public proposal, a criterion that can only
>                 > be written in mathematical language is quite useless. For something
>                 > more usable, then, you'd have to write it in English (or French, Esperanto,
>                 > etc.). If you write it in French, I'd have to find a translator, but I'd be
>                 > willing to do that. Your previoius reference to your criterion didn't tell
>                 > nearly enough about it to be a definition.
>                 >
>                 > But never mind
>                 > that. The question is whether or not you can justify your criterion
>                 > in terms of some standard that an appreciable number of people accept
>                 > as fundamental.
>                 >
>                 > Mike Ossipoff
>
>                 The result is: methods that do not respect the "reciprocal fairness" criteria
>                 are extremist-candidate-dependent.
>                 It is understandable that when you put a new median candidate, it could become
>                 the winner.
>                 But adding a very left candidate should not affect the right candidates results.
>
>                 But if adding a new candidate C makes the winner move from A to B, I think it is
>                 a fundamental bias.
>                 "Reciprocal fairness" is mandatory. It is not sufficient to ensure a fair
>                 election.
>                 The same problem can arise from vote splitting.
>                 To put it in words you like. Putting a Nader candidate should not afect the
>                 Gore-Bush result.
>                 With plurality it does because of vot splitting.
>                 With approval it would, because anti-Nader people (We, especially you, can think
>                 they are wrong,
>                 but it does not stop them from existing and voting) would add G.W. Bush on their
>                 ballot.
>                 You can argue that in this specific case the polls should have shown everybody
>                 that
>                 Nader had no chance. What if he had one? And, as fairer models will attract more
>                 candidates,
>                 the run will be tighter and these problem will rise more often.

Mike's answer is below...

I was busy but I pick up where we left.

B (51) > A (49)
On a unidimensional model, an extreme candidate (C) goes before B or after A

So sincere rankings can be (C>B>A and A>B>C) or (B>A>C and C>A>B).
Please tell me where C is placed with your "sincere rankings"...

It would seem that your example is not plausible at all...

In addition, let me tell you again that approval is definitively
a bad method that can elect a Condorcet Looser (if I am right,
even a strong one with 50% defeats against any other candidates even with
using
Bart's optimal strategy)
See my previous posts about that.

Sincerely,