[EM] Voting on matters of pure fact

Arnold B. Urken aurken at choicelogic.com
Fri Apr 20 15:08:33 PDT 2001

Hi,

I have been following this list with interest and would like to point
out that there is a literature (going back to Condorcet) about the
effects of a voting method on the group probability of making a correct
choice. (See my "The Condorcet-Jefferson Connection and the Origins of
Social Choice Theory" in Public Choice, 1991.)  I have done simulations
of the effects of one person, one vote, approval, and other methods on
group judgmental accuracy.

In juries, jurors prefer a choice because it is a better fit of the
facts. Of course, their subjective or performance-based competencies
could be factored into computing the collective outcome. The
Shapley-Grofman theorem does this.

Anyone interested in this?

Arnie