[EM] STV By Meek's Method

Martin Harper mcnh2 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 11 08:27:22 PDT 2001

Just a quick question: I've been looking at STV by Meek's method: my reference
is here:

http://www.bcs.org.uk/election/meek/meekm.htm

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the rate of convergence
of the iterative process for updating the candidate "weights" - the authors
give it 500 iterations to converge to +/- 0.00001, but this seems to just be
an arbitrary figure that works most of the time (but not all the time).

I've tried looking at it myself, but it's beyond me at the moment. Anyone got
any ideas? Or anyone able to point me at a URL or suchlike which looks at such
questions?

Thanks,
Martin