[EM] Condorcet cyclic drop rule

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Sat Apr 7 06:30:13 PDT 2001

Dear Mike,

you wrote (6 Apr 2001):
> But if you're saying that Condorcet's drop-weakest proposal says to
> drop the weakest defeat till there are no cycles, that's a radical
> new interpretation.

Actually, this "radical new" interpretation of Condorcet's bottom-up
proposal has been mentioned _very frequently_ in this mailing list

******

You wrote (6 Apr 2001):
> I don't remember the exact words, but in an article in _Journal of
> Economic Perspective_, for Winter '95, it seems to me that they said
> that Ranked Pairs was Tideman's interpretation of Condorcet's
> top-down proposal.

These are the exact words (Jonathan Levin, Barry Nalebuff, "An
Introduction to Vote-Counting Schemes," _Journal of Economic
Perspectives_, vol. 9, no. 1, p. 3-26):

Markus Schulze