[EM] Get Real, Richard Moore:

I Like Irving donald at mich.com
Mon Apr 2 05:57:25 PDT 2001

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 04/02/01
Mr Richard Moore,

You wrote:  "Why is the particular majority selected by IRV entitled to be
the majority that rules, when there are so many other possible majorities?"

Davison: Yes, you are correct, there are other possible majorities than D
11 of 17.  Had you ran one more runoff cycle you would have gotten a
majority of D 17 of 17,  but that is not what you had in mind was it?  You
are fishing for a majority that will elect one of the lowest three
candidates like A or B or C.
     In order to do that, you will need a different method.  Approval
Voting is currently in vogue on this EM list.  We should try that method
before it goes out of fashion.  Approval Voting will give the following
results to your example:
              17 A,   17 B,   17 C,   17 D,   17 E

     Opps, looks like Approval Voting is unable to give you a `better'
winner with a different majority.  In fact, Approval is useless, for it has
yielded a silly result.  That's Approval for you.

     Bucklin will give us: 17 A,  2 B,  3 C,  6 D,  6 E
     So, it is candidate A, the lowest candidate of top choices, that you
have determined shall win the election in your concocted example.  Why did
I not see that before, yes indeed, why not?

     What is wrong here is that Bucklin violates the Golden Rule of
Preferences, that is, later preferences are not to harm nor help earlier
preferences. The Bucklin solution is a clear case of lower choices helping
to defeat top choices.

     Besides, your example is unrealistic on three accounts.
     One, voters of the top two candidates, D and E, would not march
lockstep and vote for the same second choice A, and then the same third
choice B, etc.
     Two, few of the D and E voters would choose A or B as a second or
third choice when we consider that the voters of A and B chose D and E dead
last, the dislike would be mutual.
     Three, there is no reason for the voters of the two front running
candidates, D and E, to make any lower choices. Their two candidates are
head and shoulders above the three lowest candidates, it is of no interest
to these voters which of the three is to be the last candidate.

     A more realistic example would be:
        6 E,  1 ACBD,  2 BACD,  2 CABD,  6 D

   Irving: candidate D still wins with 11 of 17

 Approval: candidate D wins, 5 A,  5 B,  5 C,  11 D,  6 E

  Bucklin: candidate D wins, 5 A,  5 B,  5 C,  11 D,  6 E

Condorcet: candidate D wins all D pairings.

     The jury is in, candidate D is the winner, but we already knew that.
     You were merely hoping against hope that your bottom feeding candidate
would somehow win - it's not going to happen.  We will not allow you to
leverage one vote into a win.
     To see this, all you need to do is to `Get Real' Richard Moore.

Mr Davison