[EM] Proportionality vs utility: redoing 2008 with better units

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 10 05:21:35 PDT 2024

 Kristofer
This is very interesting. Thank you for doing this analysis. Random ballots, as I understand your implementation, I think would not be strategyproof. If there are c candidates to be elected, then every voter ranks their top c. And then you sequentially pick c ballots at random, electing the top-ranked unelected candidate on each ballot. Is that correct? In that case, I think if a voter is fairly confident that their favourite candidate will be elected anyway, it makes sense for them to put other candidates above them that might not get elected anyway. If my second favourite candidate is not very popular among other voters, and my favourite is, I am likely to put my second favourite top.
Another lottery method you might want to consider is COWPEA Lottery. This uses approval ballots. For each candidate to be elected, ballots are selected at random to act as tie-breaks. At first, every candidate is in the running. Pick a ballot, and then only those approved on that ballot are still in the running and so on, until one is left. If a ballot reduces the number of candidates in the running to zero, it is ignored. This method can also be used with the KP-transformation for a score voting variant (like the relationship of PAV to harmonic voting).
Toby