[EM] "Instant-runoff voting" article renamed to "Ranked-choice voting" on English Wikipedia

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at munsterhjelm.no
Wed Oct 23 12:36:38 PDT 2024

On 2024-10-23 18:38, Closed Limelike Curves wrote:
> Stemming hasn't been a thing for a very long time now, so a modern
> search engine shouldn't have issues identifying "Instant-runoff" and
> "Alternative vote" as synonyms. (In fact, what you say suggests
> Wikipedia doesn't follow redirects, because the page you found is
> Instant-runoff voting and not the Alternative vote redirect.)
>
> I suspect the articles "Ranked voting" and "Ranked-choice voting in the
> United States" are interfering with the search somehow, by making it
> seem like there are other Wikipedia articles more closely related to the
> topic than the instant-runoff voting article.

Apparently I expressed myself in a muddled way. That was not my point;
let's try again.

What I am suggesting is that:
	1. Google does not automatically list the Wikipedia page for X as the
first entry for search term X,
and
	2. Google may follow redirects so that if you search for X, and the
Wikipedia page for X redirects to Y, you will get Y as the first
Wikipedia result.

Point one, if true, means that one can't conclude that relabeling
"instant-runoff voting" to "ranked choice voting" would push the
Wikipedia page above the Fairvote, etc. pages as a natural consequence.

Point two, if true, means that you do not need to explicitly move
"instant-runoff voting" to "ranked choice voting" to get the benefits of
Google exposure; just making "ranked choice voting" a redirect to
"instant-runoff voting" will give you the same Google benefit when
Google updates its index to reflect the change.

If both are true, it indicates that we can't reject the hypothesis that
there would be no particular benefit to renaming the instant-runoff
voting article to "ranked choice voting", at least not as far as Google
indexing effects are concerned.

My evidence for number one is that there are plenty of search terms that
you can search for that does not return its Wikipedia article as the
first match. In retrospect, it's kind of obvious. For instance, you can
search for, I don't know, "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", and the
IMDB page, not the Wikipedia article, will be the first match on Google.

My evidence for number two is that searching for terms that are similar
to the target term often give the target term as the first Wikipedia
article. Let's go through the examples I provided.

a. "Set covering" leads to "set cover problem", i.e. returns the
Wikipedia article on the latter as its first Wikipedia match. You
suggested that this is just Google doing fuzzy matching and thus
changing "set covering" to "set cover problem" internally. Okay, let's
suppose for the time being that that is true.

b. "Alternative vote" leads to "instant-runoff voting". Again you
suggest that Google is just doing some kind of synonym parsing, and that
it's not actually following redirects; and as evidence, you state that
if Google were following redirects, it should have returned the redirect
instead of the instant-runoff voting article as its first Wikipedia match.

But here I was apparently a bit unclear, because I didn't mean to say
that Google would index redirects. Instead, I was saying that it would
follow them transparently, much like a HTTP redirect. The expected
behavior would then be that the crawler finds "alternative vote", makes
a note that this redirects to "instant-runoff voting", and thus, follow
the redirect and index "instant-runoff voting" for the search term
"alternative vote".

This is consistent with its actual behavior: going to the alternative
vote page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_vote?redirect=no,
shows that it's a redirect to the IRV page. Furthermore, searching for
"alternative vote" returns, at least to me, the instant-runoff voting
page as the first Wikipedia result.

c. "Top-two runoff" leads to "two-round system". This would also seem to
suggest that Google follows redirects, since
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-two_runoff?redirect=no is a redirect
to the "Two-round system" page; that either Google follows redirects or
that its synonym handling or aliasing system in practice produces the
same effect.

Now, you seem to suggest the latter, that due to its synonym handling,
Google should '[have no] issues identifying "Instant-runoff" and
"Alternative vote" as synonyms'.

However: if it has no problem identifying these as synonyms (whether it
is by following redirect links or by some other means), then it
shouldn't have a problem identifying "instant-runoff voting" and
"ranked-choice voting" as synonyms, either.

If Google already identifies instant-runoff voting and ranked choice
voting as synonyms, then there's little point in relabeling the page to
make it visible to Google, because it already *is* visible to Google.
And if it doesn't, then one has to come up with a more complex theory
that would explain why Google has no problem identifying IRV and AV as
synonyms and no problem identifying top-two and two-round as synonyms,
but would have a problem identifying IRV and RCV as synonyms.

-km