[EM] "Instant-runoff voting" article renamed to, "Ranked-choice voting" on English Wikipedia

Ralph Suter RLSuter at aol.com
Sun Oct 20 14:30:30 PDT 2024

You're just wrong about this, Closed. I don't know the full history of
the name IRV and how it became better known as RCV, but in the late '90
and at least the first decade of the 2000's, IRV not only "caught on"
but was widely used in discussions of voting methods, and not just among
"voting theory circles" and FairVote, which at the time was named the
Center for Voting and Democracy. You are apparently too young to have
first-hand knowledge of any of that. I attended the 1992 founding
meeting of what is now known as FairVote but  was originally named
Citizens for Proportional Representation (CPR). The founding meeting was
focused primarily on PR rather than single winner/one rep per district
reform, which was discussed very little at the meeting. That soon
changed when shortly after the meeting (or maybe shortly before, I'm not
certain), former U.S. representative and 1980 presidential candidate
John Anderson published a 1992 article (I think in NY Times or maybe
Wash Post) advocating what is now known as RCV. Anderson soon joined and
became a leader of CPR and apparently was very influential in getting it
to focus less on PR and more on single winner reform and change its name
to CVD.

-Ralph Suter