[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 243, Issue 5

Etjon Basha etjonbasha at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 20:18:13 PDT 2024

> Lately, I've been updating my Electowiki page,
> https://electowiki.org/wiki/User:Kristomun/Proposed_voting_methods. This
> page lists various voting methods that aren't described in detail on the
> wiki, but have been proposed in either literature or on EM.
>
> Though I've managed to find a number of methods (including one that
> might provide a divisor PR analog of the DPC), I imagine there are still
> lots out there that I haven't happened across. So I'd like to ask the
> list: do you know any methods that have been proposed or discussed but

that neither have their own Electowiki articles nor are listed on my page?

Hi Kristofer and all,

I can forward a few, though only the first two have been provided here by
me a couple weeks back (one of the Warren derivatives as well was mentioned
a couple years back IIRC):

1. Ranked ballots where truncation and equal ranking are allowed:

1.1 Linked to or electing from the Serious Candidate Set:

1.1.1 Consider only those candidates who would win an approval count if
they were to serve as the universal approval cutoff across all ballots. If
there are several, elect the candidate who wins their count by the greatest
margin compared to the runner-up.

1.2.1 Truncate all ballots at the candidate(s) who has the greatest number
of first preferences. Elect the approval winner from this truncated set of
ballots.

1.2 Derivative of Warren STV, not discussed here before by me, not sure if
already existing or if worth considering re criteria:

1.2.1 Run a Warren STV count such as to leave all running candidates with
the exact same number of votes and elect the candidate with the lowest keep
value (similar to approval, but not quite the same as is more aware of
rank).

1.2.2 Run a Warren STV count such as to leave all running candidates with
the exact same number of votes, eliminate the candidate(s) with a keep
value of exactly 1. Repeat with the remaining set, and so on until only two
are left. This can be used to elect any number of winners.

2. Multiple winner method, the uber-open list: issue each voter with two
independent ballots, one for parties, one for candidates. Count each set of
votes separately, with the party vote determining the make-up of the
legislature, and the candidate vote determining which candidates are to
fill the seats allocated to each party.  Note how even those who didn’t
vote for Party A get to determine who among party A’s candidates will win,
hence the uber-open list. The candidate vote could be SNTV, STV, etc, but I
would propose quadratic voting as best suited given the need to limit
adverse behaviour.