[EM] Two round Condorcet / Improved TRS

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 11 18:24:34 PDT 2024

I find this complicated and very low bang-for-buck, and not properly
defined  ("..a Smith method ").  I don't see any justification for
privileging the FPP winner in this way.

The method (compared to better single-round methods) could give voters
extra Burial and Compromise and Push-over incentives.  For example if
your favourite is likely to be the CW (or Smith method winner) without
your first-preference vote but unlikely to be the FPP winner, then you
might gain by trying to change the (with you voting sincerely) FPP
winner into one that is more likely to lose in the runoff.

If your favourite has less chance of being both the CW and the FPP
winner than your lesser evil, you could have incentive to Compromise by
voting Lesser Evil in first place to guard against a runoff that Greater
Evil might win.

Supporters of the likely FPP winner will have a powerful incentive to
Bury and Push-over at the same time.  They can use their below-top
preferences to try to make any voted CW (who isn't also the FPP winner
and their favourite) as less appealing as possible.

> "While even the paradigm of IRV retains this "few first preferences -
> not legitimate" view, ..."

No. it works the way it does because there isn't any other way of fixing
FPP's  failure of Clone-Winner while keeping compliance with
Later-no-Help and Later-no-Harm.

If you like the idea of a method that can be thought of as a "compromise
between 3 paradigms",  I recommend  Double Defeat, Hare:

*Voters strictly rank from the top however many candidates they wish and
may also indicate an approval cutoff (possibly by ranking a "Approve
none below" virtual candidate).

Any candidate pairwise beaten by a more approved candidate is
disqualified.  Elect the not disqualified candidate that is highest
ordered (that is the last to be eliminated or not eliminated) by Hare.*

That would be a high Social Utility (and high Condorcet consistency)
method that is very resistant to Burial and losers' complaints.

Chris Benham