[EM] Did someone not hear what I said about Approval vs Condorcet?

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Sun May 26 12:25:28 PDT 2024

On Sun, May 26, 2024 at 04:59 Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km_elmet at t-online.de>
wrote:

> On 2024-05-26 07:28, Michael Ossipoff wrote:
> > Someone keeps repeating that the voters shouldn’t have to vote
> > strategically. He wants the method to do it all for us, after we merely
> > state our sincere-rankings.
> >
> > That’s of course a common attitude:
> >
> > …wanting a high-tech, computation-intensive,computer-dependent system to
> > do it all for us, taking all the actual choosing responsibility off of
> > us.…sheltering & isolating us from the choice.
>
> I would prefer that you do not attribute opinions that the proponents
> have not expressed. Nowhere have I said…

Whoa. I didn’t mention you. I said only “someone”. I wasn’t referring to
you.

…that Condorcet "[isolates] us
> from the choice" we make.

I didn’t quote anyone as saying that. .*I* used that phrase, but I didn’t
say that anyone else did.

> What you call "sheltering" and "isolating", I see as the method taking
> proper responsibility - proper responsibility to turn the voters'
> unambiguous honest opinions into an outcome without dumping the
> algorithmic calculation upon te voter themselves.

…a different wording for the same thing.

See my "kick the can
> down the road" post for more info.
>
> Now, I could make a caricature of Approval itself. Perhaps something
> about a calculator that just says "IDK, do the base conversion yourself,
> I only accept input numbers in factoradic". But caricatures only make
> people angry.

Or puzzled. I have no idea what that would mean, or how that supposed
analogy applies.
But, since you aren’t saying it, we can dismiss the matter.

Let's not stoop to them, shall we?

I didn’t “caricature”. I described the goal of rank-methods, in agreement
with your description, with different wording.

Approval is a simple reliable do-it-yourself handtool. Rank-methods seek to
allow you to merely express a sincere ranking & say”now you fix it”,
instead of actually dealing with the choice as you’d have to without that
humungously computation-intensive automatic machine.

> > I’ll ask this for the 3^rd time:
> >
> > …
> >
> > How would like you to handount-audit a Condorcet count for a
> > many-candidate national presidential election?
>
> I think your question assumes something that won't hold. If you have a
> 25-candidate presidential election,…

However many candidates you have, a Condorcet-count is much more
complicated & computationally-intensive than the summation of approvals.

With a given number of people & hours the ability to detect count-fraud is
less with Condorcet.

I said that Approval has been choosing the CW in our polls. I didn’t say
that it was the poll winner (though it has won in 1 or more of our polls).

I didn’t comment any farther down in this text. I say that, because it’s
easier to say it than deleting the rest of the text.

I sent this quick preliminary reply to answer the misunderstanding about
the matter of whom I was referring to.

I haven’t yet replied to your other post because it’s mor involved than
this one.

But as for putting the choice on the voters instead of just collecting
sincere rankings, yes that’s what I prefer.

…because using the absolute minimal method, with the least demanding count,
is that important, for count-fraud prevention.

…with immense benefits for easier explanation, defined, enactment, &
admission too.

(Autocorrect can be a nuisance. I’m not used to having to check my whole
post for autocorrect’s word-changes.)

you've already lost, because nobody