[EM] Example with most different results

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sat May 25 05:41:17 PDT 2024

The more interesting question is what makes voting systems agree when so
many of them can be made to disagree (and why?)

The answer I found for a single vacancy was that an ordinal count is
less  accurate than a rational count, and the disagreement in results
was merely caused by discrepancies in ordinal counts. This was shown by
changing the unweighted Condorcet count to a weighted Condorcet count,
whereupon it agreed with the only other rational count (Borda method),
in a finely balanced vote.

Therefore, I concluded that such alleged demonstrations that there is
"no perfect voting system" were an imposition on readers.

For that matter, no scientific (or knowledgable) endeavor ever claims
perfection, but to seek unambiguous results, that could not mean
anything one wants.

Moreover single vacancies may not offer more than half a democracy.
(Known in ancient times as a tyranny.) With more seats per constituency,
in a proportional election, the inaccurate "last past the post"
exclusion count becomes less important. (As well as being unnecessary.)

Regards,

Richard Lung