[EM] 28 years of progress and a wakeup call

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 23 13:30:54 PDT 2024

Robert,

> I'm still thinking perhaps Condorcet-TTR might be best.

Are you seriously suggesting another round of voting?   Why?

Hare is much better than TTR.  And you already collected the all the
ranking information you need to operate either in the first round.

> Can you imagine legislative language, first defining the Smith set and then the actual reference to the Smith set in the verbiage of the law?

I am not a lawyer and know nothing about whatever is special or
distinctive about US "legislative language".   But nonetheless I can't
see why it would be an insurmountable challenge.

> What are the tactical/strategic voting implications of Condorcet-Approval?

It makes Burial strategy more likely to backfire than to succeed.   And
it is less likely to fail Favorite Betrayal for voters who rank their
Lesser Evil compromise equal-top with their sincere Favorite.

> I think anything more than just asking voters to rank their preferences is asking too much.  It requires or burdens the voters to think tactically.

Aren't they used to that?    TTR would introduce a lot of extra Pushover
strategy opportunities, which of course (via your crazy primaries
system) US voters are well used to.

I suggest that the default placement of the approval cutoff could be
just below equal-top.  Then to the extent that the voters don't bother
with it the method defaults to Condorcet//FPP(whole), or Condorcet//Top
Ratings, which may not be a huge shock.

Also I think it is easier to vote sincerely with
Condorcet//Approval(explicit) than with the explicit version. Because
you can sincerely rank all the candidates without being concerned about
being forced to approve candidates you don't like.

Then just make a judgement call (or be guided by someone's advice) on
where to put your approval cutoff (which probably most of the time will
be irrelevant).

Chris B.