[EM] STAR loses in Eugene, 33%-67%

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Wed May 22 11:14:54 PDT 2024

Oh geez, they ain't gonna be happy with me.  I crashed the Eugene subreddit.Told them about my little hypothetical where I translated the Burlington 2009 into STAR (lesser evil gets 1 star).Same problem as IRV.  Close 3-way race.  Center squeeze. Spoiler gets into the final runoff.  Both punish the Right voters for not betraying their favorite candidate (resulting in Left getting elected).But STAR has an additional incentive to vote tactically or even strategically; Center voters (needs 6% of the electorate) could bury Left and succeed at getting Center elected instead of Left.I'm gonna have to write Arend and sorta apologize.  I sorta feel bad.  I imagine they'll find other people besides me to blame.L8rrobert Powered by Cricket Wireless------ Original message------From: Michael GarmanDate: Wed, May 22, 2024 13:40To: EM list;Cc: Subject:[EM] STAR loses in Eugene, 33%-67%https://kval.com/news/election-results