[EM] POLL: Ballots and results

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Sat May 18 00:31:53 PDT 2024

Well, there is a reason why I marked Condorcet/Plurality at top.  It has the most direct and understandable code to define the method.

But I would agree, as far as resistance to burying or some deliberate strategy, Condorcet/Plurality would be more vulnerable to burying than, say, Schulze or Ranked-Pairs.  And the latter is more credible as legislative language.

I think I can write something for RP that has an initially empty list of "defeators" for each candidate.  The defeators of a candidate are those candidates who have defeated this candidate and any other candidate who has defeated the winning candidate.

Beginning with the preference pairing having the greatest defeat strength (in this case, winning votes), first check to see if the candidate defeated in that pairing is in the list of defeators of the winning candidate in that pairing.  If the defeated candidate is in the list of defeators of the winning candidate, this pairing is ignored.  Otherwise the defeated candidate in the pairing is marked as defeated and all of the defeators of the winning candidate are merged with the existing list of defeators for the defeated candidate.

Do this for every pairing in order of the defeat strength.  Then elect the sole candidate who is not marked as defeated.

r b-j . _ . _ . _ . _ rbj at audioimagination.com

.
.
.