[EM] POLL: New deadline: 2024-05-16 05:15:00 UTC

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 15 03:43:49 PDT 2024

Robert,

> So my fav is straight-ahead Condorcet with Plurality as the
> contingency method.

That method is a big open invitation for the supporters  of the
Plurality (aka FPP) winner to engage in easy Burial strategy.  Say
sincere is

46  A
44  B
10  C>B

B is the Condorcet winner.    B>A 54-46   and  B>C 44-10.

What can the A supporters do about that?

46  A>C  (sincere is A or A>B)
44  B
10  C>B

They have given B a pairwise defeat so now there is a cycle. B>A
54-46,   A>C 46-10,   C>B 56-44.

According to your preferred  Condorcet//FPP method the strategists
easily steal the election.  In this example that is also true of Margins
and the dinky Bottom-Two Runoff "IRV" method you like.

A much better Condorcet method is  Smith//Approval (implicit) which here
gives the strategists a backfire by electing C. Winning Votes is also
better and does the same thing. So does Smith//DAC.

Condorcet//Approval (implicit) wasn't nominated in the poll but is the
same thing as Smith//Approval (implicit) when there are no more than 3
candidates and is also much better.

Among Condorcet methods, Benham and Woodall both continue to elect B in
the second example because they meet Unburiable Mutual Dominant Third.
Similar and also much better is Condorcet//Hare.

Among non Condorcet methods,  I would vastly prefer plain Hare and
Double Defeat, Hare.  Plain Approval would at least be vastly better
bang-for-buck.

Chris B.