[EM] Plurality == FPTP right?

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Mon May 13 13:22:09 PDT 2024

OK, I think I understand now; are you taking the term "plurality" to mean
the social choice function still returns a winner, even if that winner
doesn't have a score higher than 50%, similarly to how Nagel uses it here
<https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/american-political-science-review/article/abs/effect-of-approval-balloting-on-strategic-voting-under-alternative-decision-rules/35809BC96CFA0DC2B50E1550A190D2BF>?
I suppose that makes sense, although it feels a bit surprising. Is that a
mathematically meaningful definition? Couldn't I define the social welfare
function for FPTP as (1 + fptp_vote_share) / 2 to guarantee a winner always
has a "majority" without changing anything meaningful about the method?