[EM] A graphical simulation for your browser. 50+ methods

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 13 06:26:36 PDT 2024

Kevin,

> A central concern is that when ballots are truncated, preference information is
> lost, and that loss may be unevenly distributed.

Given that voters are allowed to have equal-preferences, how do we know
that necessarily "preference information is lost"?

The "lost" or hidden preferences  (a) may not exist and (b) be of such a
quality that the method is better served not knowing what they are,
because if it did it could be confused into producing a lower social
utility winner.

I think it is better to assume that a lot of truncation (especially by
the supporters of the major candidates) is natural and normal, and then
assess the consequences of voters adding preferences.

Chris B.