[EM] A graphical simulation for your browser. 50+ methods

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon May 6 14:49:03 PDT 2024

Hello, here is a scenario generator to explore:

What if voters only use truncation strategies?
votingmethods.net/trunc

Features: Over 50 methods, numerous settings, spatial or non-spatial preferences,
ability to save/load scenarios, conversion to ballots, stats on sincere Condorcet
efficiency and method similarity.

The truncation strategies include fixed or random thresholds, as well as strategies
based on the voters having an awareness of two frontrunners, chosen in various ways.

A central concern is that when ballots are truncated, preference information is
lost, and that loss may be unevenly distributed. I try to depict this graphically.
You can observe often that a sincere Condorcet winner loses the CW status to someone
else when the votes are cast.

I could not include STAR, since that is a ratings method, but I did implement "ATAR"
and "BTAR" substitutes using implicit approval and an interpretation of Borda.

Kevin
votingmethods.net