[EM] Optimal Cardinal Proportional Representation

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Tue May 7 08:52:37 PDT 2024

On 2024-05-05 17:22, Richard Lung wrote:
> As I understand it (or misunderstand it) cumulative voting  is an early
> version of cardinal voting going by quantities of points or "plumping"
> for a single candidate. Of course the details are different but they
> share the similarity of cardinal voting obscuring an ordinal vote, a
> straight-forward order of choice, in the hands of the voters, instead of
> the parties. ultimately reducing to FPTP under the plumping option.
>
> Or as HG Wells would say: enfeebling complications fruitful of corruption.

That does seem pretty accurate, but I don't think the observation can be
generalized to all cardinal methods.

The problem with cumulative voting is that you have a given number of
points and need to spread them around. If you don't plump them all for a
single candidate, you're making your vote weaker. Hence it behaves like
FPTP.

But with approval or Range, you can set your rating of each candidate
independently, so how much of your voting power you can give to A
doesn't depend on how much you've given to B. So the incentive to plump
isn't nearly as strong.

There are definitely weaknesses to cardinal voting. But cardinal methods
aren't all the same: different rules give different weaknesses.

-km