[EM] Plurality == FPTP right?

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Mon May 6 23:51:48 PDT 2024

Jack, I think that your argument FPTP does not exist in the US because
of primaries is a sleight of hand, so to speak.

FPTP is still FPTP. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....
You could equally argue that FPTP does not exist in the UK because, as I
have known locally in the past and no doubt present, a 20-person local
party committee or caucus steers the selection process. That is a
"primary" of sorts.

The contention has interest as an illustration of how far academics will
go to apologise for FPTP. Why extenuate such an indefensible system?
FPTP is not complicated, it is simply incomplete. FPTP is not an
election, it is only the first stage of an election. It would be nice to
hear that loud and clear from academics, and, conceivably, political
beneficiaries.

Regards,

Richard Lung,