[EM] Countering FairVote propaganda on Wikipedia

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Thu Mar 28 15:08:18 PDT 2024

On 2024-03-22 02:49, Closed Limelike Curves wrote:
> These are great suggestions, thank you :)
>
> For organizing the criteria, my proposal is to replace the current table
> with maybe 5 numbers:
> 1. Condorcet efficiency
> 2. Social utility efficiency
> 3. Spoiler resistance (IIA compliance)
> 4. Participation satisfaction
> 5. Monotonicity satisfaction
>
> (Is Jameson Quinn on this email list? I know he had some relevant
> simulations.)

IIA compliance might be less informative than you'd think, because every
Condorcet method has the same frequency of IIA failures: you can remove
a subset of non-winners to change the winner iff there is no Condorcet
winner. Non-Condorcet ranked methods are worse: they fail when there's a
cycle, and also whenever they fail to elect the CW.

So perhaps that should be replaced with a category listing, although it
would be interesting to see the actual IIA failure rate for Range with
automatic normalization (or above-mean approval strategy). Then again,
filling in numbers based on simulations from EM might be considered OR;
I don't know what the burden of proof/reliability rules of Wikipedia
would say.

Possible categories could be:
	passes IIA (e.g. cardinal with an absolute scale, random pair)
	LIIA (Ranked pairs, River)
	ISDA (Smith//IRV)
	Condorcet (Minmax)
	None of the above (Plurality).

Alternatively having clone independence instead of IIA would be better
at differentiating between the methods. I would also suggest a strategy
resistance number, by James Green-Armytage's definition. And summability.

Although if you're doing clone independence, JGA's strategic exit/entry
might give a better idea of strategic nomination resistance, since some
nominally clone independent methods have incentive to enter or exit - in
particular IRV.

Jameson used to be on the list, but he hasn't posted since 2018.

-km