[EM] This is a repost for the benefit of Mr. Garman of RankTheVote

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 12:39:36 PDT 2024

Warren D. Smith did an analysis showing the rate exceeds 50% for elections
where plurality and IRV disagree, i.e. more than half of plurality-IRV
disagreements are caused by IRV making an error. For Louisiana governor
elections, I believe the rate was just a flat 50%. In one case, this
infamously nearly led to the election of a Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.

Among social choice theorists, mathematicians, etc. you'll find about
half-and-half if you poll IRV against plurality. Unless you want to say
every Nobel laureate who's studied this field is an idiot, it's not really
that absurd. The issue isn't that FPP isn't bad—it is!—but IRV is roughly
on the same level even when you *exclude* the practical disadvantages (like
cost and understanding).