[EM] Fwd: Election-Methods Digest, Vol 236, Issue 18

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 18:11:58 PDT 2024

> We don't wanna burden voters with any pressure to vote tactically, do we?
> Why are people (equal.vote, CES) promoting methods that, whenever there
> are 3 or more candidates, **inherently** forces voters to make tactical
> consideration of how they're going to vote for their 2nd-favorite candidate?

Every method does this. With 3 candidates all Condorcet methods can
encourage burial.

BTW, I posted at r/EndFPTP a derived scenario that shows how STAR fails to
> disincentivize tactical voting, even with the head-to-head runoff.
> https://www.reddit.com/r/EndFPTP/comments/1bbq6hu/heres_a_good_hypothetical_for_how_star_fails/

I don't see how that's a failure. There's two possibilities here:
1. If the votes are honest, I don't see what the problem is. The three
candidates are neck-and-neck and there's not much reason to prefer any.
2. If the votes are strategic, this seems like terrible strategy on the
part of each group. Why wouldn't you give the center candidate more than 0
stars?