[EM] Question to the Condorcetists

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 19:49:08 PST 2024

Yes, just a matter of, for each voter, decrementing the population-total of
every pairwise-preference s/he voted.  …& applying RP(wv) to that modified
population preference-totals set. But, other than looking at that voter’s
ballot, no new votecounting is needed.

The entire Participation-check only takes half as long as the original
exhaustive pairwise-count used by Condorcet.

> Couldn't this new procedure still violate participation?

Not if it’s Implicit-Approval (ranked = approved).

What if adding ballots[i] with A>B would cause B>A, but B also happens to
> win under implicit approval voting?

That occurred to me too. Well I’d say that the important thing is that
after the illegal Participation-failure result is discarded, then even if
IA gives the same winner, this time it didn’t happen as a
Participation-violation.

The discarding makes the election innocent.

But Steve is right: For any one of us, the minuscule chance of a preference
of ours being negatively responded-to doesn’t even come close to
outweighing the strategy-freeness for which RP(wv) is being used.