[EM] Strategy-free criterion

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jun 22 19:14:44 PDT 2024

CLC,

> An equal-ranking isn’t a way to express indifference..

Of course that is exactly what it is.

> ...(or else equal-ranks would never happen) ..

(For this email I'll refrain from subtle sarcasm.) That doesn't make any
sense.

> Learning that a voter refuses to say whether they prefer Bob or Bill
> provides an important piece of information.

I can't imagine what that might be if it was the case, but we haven't
"learn't" any such thing.  The voter hasn't expressed a preference
between Bob and Bill.  Sans mind-reading technology I don't see that we
have any choice other than following the Occam's Razor principle and
assume the voter has no preference between Bob and Bill.

> Here's an example of a realistic situation where this applies. Say we
> have a paired matchup where Donald Trump defeats Mitt Romney by
> 36%-29%, because most Republicans prefer Trump. Most Democrats
> truncate their ballots and refuse to rank either, which might hurt
> them: if they support Romney, he might defeat the Democratic candidate.
>
> In this situation, we have to work out what theiropinions are.

I don't see why.  And how?  And who exactly is this "we"?

> So, isn't it reasonable to say this isn't a real victory for Trump at
> all?

No, it is not reasonable.

> It's perfectly reasonable—probable, even—that Romney is much more
> popular than he looks here, and the only reason Trump looks like he
> beats is because he has a small but extreme base of supporters.

It may or may not be an accurate guess, but I can't see anything
"reasonable" about it.

> Similarly, what if some Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez voters bullet-vote
> for moral reasons or because they're overconfident in their chances of
> victory, and don't want to give a win away to a more moderate
> Democrat? Wouldn't it reasonable to infer that these AOC supporters,
> despite ranking all the viable candidates equally, /do/actually
> support Clinton as their second choice?

Same answer: No.

There is more than  one way to define "popular".  And the incentives of
the method are obviously a big factor in our guessing about how well the
ballots reflect the voters' sincere preferences.

Chris B.