[EM] inaccurate Fargo approval voting results

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 09:02:42 PDT 2024

> The decrease after the first election could just be because the new
> candidates naively think that they will suddenly have a shot at winning or
> getting close, and then finding out that it's not as simple as that, so
> they don't stand in subsequent elections.

Right, I think that's what's happening: candidates who didn't have a shot
under FPP are learning they still have no shot under IRV.

Without testing it out, we don't know that the same wouldn't also happen
> under Condorcet, Approval, STAR etc.

I think we can't be 100% sure, but it's reasonable to think that the worse
you fail favorite-betrayal, the worse the effective number of candidates
will be. And so far the approval elections in Fargo and St. Louis have been
very competitive.