[EM] Open letter to STAR voting promoters

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 5 21:55:51 PDT 2024

Robert,

> What rhyme or reason is used to determine where the Approval cutoff is?

The idea is to give the voters as much freedom to rank among unapproved
candidates as among approved ones.

Also it is supposed to be analogous with grades children are given at
school, where A B C is a "pass" and D E F is a "fail".  It shouldn't be
kept a secret from the voters that this is how their grading will be
interpreted.

I'm not necessarily a huge fan of this particular balloting rule. I find
it a bit too restrictive.  If there are five candidates I should be free
to strictly rank all of them and approve all but one.

But I do very much like the idea of Condorcet methods using some sort of
unlimited ranking ballot with an explicit approval cutoff (and meeting
the Double Defeat criterion).

But you are apparently allergic to that idea.  Do you think this
attitude of yours would be widespread in the US?    Haven't a lot of
people got accustomed to giving out simple  "Like/Dislike" binary
ratings on the internet?

Chris B.