[EM] Strategy-free criterion

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 3 02:30:42 PDT 2024

Kevin,

> MD basically says that if there are two frontrunners and everyone truncates their
> less liked frontrunner, then the worse frontrunner won't win. If this property
> doesn't hold, it means the majority has done something to stop the method from
> "seeing" their majority, which is surely that they ranked other candidates above
> the preferred frontrunner.

Instead of "above the preferred frontrunner" don't you mean *below the
less-liked frontrunner*?

The classic example used by people who like Winning Votes and Approval
to flout those method's compliance with MD (versus the MD failures of
Margins and IRV):

49 A (sincere might be A>B)
24 B  (sincere might be B>C)
27 C>B (sincere)

A>C  49-27 (=23)     C>B  27-24  (=3)    B>A  51-49  (=2)

By Margins A's defeat is the weakest and MinMax (and methods that are
equivalent to it with only 3 candidates, such as Ranked Pairs and
Schulze) using margins elects A.

But Minimal Defense says "not A" because more than half the voters voted
B above A and A not above equal-bottom.  MD has no problem with the 27
C>B voters who ranked a candidate above their preferred (presumably
perceived) "frontrunner."

What you wrote seems to better apply to another criterion about voters
"defending the (presumed) sincere CW",  Steve Eppley's "Non-Drastic
Defense" that says that if more than half the voters rank X above Y and
X no lower than equal-top then Y can't win.

I think this was his example:

46 A>C  (sincere is A>B)
17 B>A  (sincere)
17 B>C  (sincere)
20 C=B  (sincere is C>B)

A>C  63-37 (=26)     C>B 46-34 (=12)    B>A 54-46 (=8)

More than half the voters have voted B above A and B no lower than
equal-top and so NDD says that A can't win, but Margins elects A.
Winning Votes meets NDD and elects B.

Chris B.