[EM] Should we allow "voting off" this mailing list?

Rob Lanphier roblan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 11:06:59 PDT 2024

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your thoughts on this subject.  The "voting" thing that I
started led to me learning A LOT about the social dynamics of this list.
It would seem that the people who spout the most vitriol often have the
thinnest skin.  I suppose that shouldn't be surprising to me, but ... well,
live and learn.  I've always appreciated your participation in this mailing
list, and I'm glad I've never been the recipient of your vitriol.  Please
don't start  ;-)

I think just having a discussion about when I should bring the banhammer
down has been useful.  It's a little surprising to me the level of
expertise of the people still convene on this mailing list, and I
appreciate having all y'all here.  I haven't yet seen ANY online forum that
has the right mix of moderation tools and moderators to truly get things
right, but this latest flurry of drama has reminded me that there's more
work to do.

Rob