[EM] Poll-proposal: Presidential (ranks). STV (3 seats). Party-PR (500 seats)

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 22:11:39 PDT 2024

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 05:50 Toby Pereira <tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Nice try, but I'm not the one making such sweeping claims about the method
> so do not need to define the conditions under which any claims about it
> hold.

I defined bias, & told how BF is completely unbiased twice at EM. Once when
I introduced it in (I believe) 2006, & again in September’23.

No, you don’t have to define what conditions you’re talking about. But when
someone can’t say what it is that they mean, it’s probably because they
don’t know.

> In any case, your "bias free" method certainly is not entirely unbiased
> without conditions as you claim. For one thing, by the measure that most
> people would reasonably see as the best measure of proportionality (the Sainte-Laguë
> measure), "bias free" favours small parties, so that in itself is a form of
> bias.

As I’ve surely mentioned, Toby hasn’t a clue what bias is. He’s continuing
to confuse it with non-systematic departure from proportionality.

> But even by that measure, it can quite clearly be shown that any
> deterministic method (that doesn't award fractional seats, and perhaps
> other obvious background caveats), can end up biased, depending on how
> votes are distributed in terms of small/large parties.

There, Toby is confusing the proportionality of a particular allocation
with the bias of an allocation-rule.

It's pretty obvious in fact. And back in 2012, you seemed to acknowledge
> that assumptions were required, but it appears you've forgotten that now.
> http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com//2012-July/095996.html

I’m not entirely sure what Toby is referring to. Warren Smith was making
claims about what he felt was needed for defining, measuring & minimizing
bias. I’ve never heard of anyone agreeing with him on that.

But, at first, I was willing to discuss how his requirements could be met.

But at least 1 or 2 academic journal papers reported about BF, & one named
it the Ossipoff-Agnew method.

Agreement was expressed regarding its unbias.

> It is not clear in any case that a method that balances small parties and
> large parties in this manner is better than one that gives a more
> mathematically proportional result. E.g. if you have two small parties and
> two large parties, and the two large parties end up slightly
> overrepresented and the two small parties underrepresented, this is not
> necessarily any worse than having one of each over/underrepresented.

Again, completely clueless about what bias is, & the difference between
bias & non-systematic disproportionately.

Bias is worse, precisely because it consistently, systematically disfavors
certain groups(large or small parties or states).

These things have all been explained to Toby several times, but he’s still
reopening exactly the same blather as always.

Assertive, self-assured, & clueless.

In other words, the perfect poster-child for the Dunning-Kruger effect.

You just have four separate parties, two of which end up overrepresented
> and two under. There's no coalition between parties of similar size so this
> balancing is not required.

…demonstrating tha whenever it seems that Toby has surely maxed-out, he
outdoes himself again.

> Perhaps if you continue with your incorrect claims, I will have to block
> you!

Yes, if that will shut you up.