[EM] Poll Ballot, from Richard

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 18 12:29:04 PDT 2024

>  For Hare I consider ideal would be to first divide the vote into tied
>   fractions summing to 1 to order the remaining candidates and then use
>   that order to transfer the whole vote.

To be more clear I should have added at the end  "...to a single candidate."

That can cause a different candidate to be next eliminated than if we
stayed with the tallies resulting from the fractional distribution.

Doing it this way makes Push-over strategising a bit more difficult to
pull off and is more in the spirit of the (single-winner) Single
Transferable Vote, which can be conceived of as a type of  "Declared
Strategy Voting" method.

The voter strategy it simulates is "I select my favourite candidate and
after that I take no interest in any other candidates until (and unless)
that candidate is defeated, at which point I either go home or I select
a new favourite and repeat".

That is a simple honest (maybe a bit naive) strategy which is natural
and realistic for quite a few voters, which explains why they like Hare.

So from this perspective, if the voter has an equal preference among
candidates then that voter would want their whole vote to go the one
that is least in danger of being eliminated.

Chris B.